Britain’s Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II, is recovering from a “successful” heart operation, Buckingham Palace said Thursday.
“The Duke of Edinburgh yesterday underwent a successful procedure for a pre-existing heart condition at St Bartholomew’s Hospital,” the palace said, using Philip’s formal title.
“His Royal Highness will remain in hospital for treatment, rest and recuperation for a number of days,” the statement said.
Philip — who is due to turn 100 in June — has been hospitalized since Feb. 16 when he was admitted to King Edward VII’s Hospital in London as “a precautionary measure.”
He was initially treated for an infection, but on Monday was transferred to St. Bartholomew’s, a specialized cardiac care hospital.
It was not immediately clear what heart condition was treated in this week’s surgery, but Philip has had trouble with his ticker in the past.
In 2011, he was rushed to a hospital by helicopter after suffering chest pains and was treated for a blocked coronary artery.
Since being hospitalized, the duke has been publicly visited only by his son and heir Prince Charles.
The queen, 94, has remained at Windsor Castle, where she and Philip have been staying during the coronavirus pandemic, and last week continued to carry out her official duties by video.
The couple received COVID-19 vaccinations in January, and Philip’s illness is not thought to be connected to the coronavirus.
The longest-serving royal consort in British history, Philip married the then-Princess Elizabeth in 1947. They have four children, eight grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren.
With Post wires