Let’s try this Opening Day thing again. The Mets will try to successfully open the season Monday night in Philadelphia after the first three games of the season were postponed due to the Nationals’ COVID situation. It was quite the buzzkill Thursday morning after the combination of the Francisco Lindor contract extension and season-opener had Mets fans ready to run through a brick wall in excitement. What should we expect to see the first series of the season? How essential was the Lindor extension for the future of the franchise?
To answer those questions and talk everything Mets, we bring you a new episode of the “Amazin’ But True” podcast with Nelson Figueroa and me, featuring an interview with 1969 Mets World Series champion Ron Swoboda.
Amazin’ But True Podcast Opening Segment with Jake & Nelson:
- OPENING DAY PART 2: Buzzkill with entire weekend of games getting postponed. Home opener Thursday at Citi Field. Thursday will be emotional for fans. Looking forward to hearing cheers and boos from fans. Black jerseys also back this season!
- FRANCISCO LINDOR CONTRACT EXTENSION: Figgie was worried it might not happen, I was not. Happy that he’s locked in for the next decade. Mets had to do it. Biggest deal in Mets history. Is Michael Conforto next? Jacob deGrom? Noah Syndergaard? Tough to extend Syndergaard coming off Tommy John Surgery.
- METS-PHILLIES: Phillies off to 3-0 start to season. Some good pitching matchups this week. Mets face the Phillies No. 4 and 5 starters to open the series.
Ron Swoboda Interview:
1969 World Series champion Mets outfielder (1965-1970 with Mets)
- GAME 4 CATCH: Was called “Rocky” for his below-average defense. Get criticized in the papers, no social media, big moment making that catch in the World Series.
- 1969 METS/TOM SEAVER: Memories from that season, the passing of Seaver, what he meant for that team, how good he was. Facing Bob Gibson and how dominant he was.
- BOOK: Writing book about the 1969 team reliving the memories and his life. Why Gil Hodges should be in the Hall of Fame.
Catch up on all episodes of “Amazin’ But True,” a New York Mets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Jake Brown on Twitter and Instagram @JakeBrownRadio and Nelson Figueroa @FiggieNY. New episodes are every Monday and Thursday.